1. Freelance computer services, Web technologies.
Practicing in the Washington D.C. area ( Maryland, Northern Virginia, & the District of Columbia.
English communication. Numerous clients, in private and business sectors. Proud to boast of a 100% approval rating from all clients to date. Interested in extending the range of my practice, which to date covers:
Windows 95 and Windows 98 services; Java 2 applet programming.
SQL programming. MS office software support. Device & PC repair.
Cable running. Hard disk & file system maintenance. Web technology.
Pentium PCs, laptops, network rewiring. Tech support: in person,
by email, & by telephone. Email systems. Consultation on
PC equipment procurement. Computer virus detection, system cleaning.
Standard rate for computer services: $ 35 per hour - plus, if a hardware repair is contracted for, the sales & shipping cost of parts as needed and agreed to - as of July 31, 2001. (Superseding 9/01/00 rate of $30.00/hr.)
[ Subject to limitations. Exact fee charged subject to negotiation, as appropriate for equipment serviced and other circumstances. Some services cheaper, e.g. small electronics.
All advanced programming (e.g. Java, Perl, SQL) starts at $ 42 per hour, as of November 1, 2001.
- Inquiries on rates/terms welcome! (-Tech support questions will be charged for!) by email to email@example.com Please note that all price quotes are good for only up to 3 months after the estimate of
rate is communicated to the customer. Prices as stated here are subject to change without advance notice. ]
Professional tech certification currently held, at Master level:
Java certification currently held:
Gross business income per quarter
for the freelance consultantcy of Russell Hess
in the previous 12 months, as of October 2001.
Note: the Second quarter of 2001 was of low yield: Some income was pending completion,
and there was a shortfall of business. Graph shows overall tendency to growth, otherwise.
- Projection for the next quarter (October 1 to December 31):
at minimum, about 80% of last (July 1 - September 30); may turn out to be > 110 %, or more.
- Correct, in retrospect: earnings for the fourth quarter (vs. the third) are 90.8 %. It wasn't easy to reach that figure, the business climate being what it has been.
( - Please note: I operate on (& have) low or zero debt - unlike many firms through the '90s. So, the figures I graph here are significant in the manner of their appearance. )
2. SF & Fantastic Fiction:
- An online freely available sample portion ( - the As, out of A-to-Z - ) of the Short Guide to Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. Original. Found only here. To look things up in or just browse through.
- My 'HitchHiker's Guide' page.
- The SF Surrealism page; Out-of-these-worlds comedy, satire, whimsy, spoofs: ( "What, no awesome pictures?" - No, no pictures yet. )
- Episode #2 of 'Start Truck'.
- 'Discovery, No Longer Terrible' (-the sequel and ending to 'Battleship Discovery The Terrible'.)
- 'Really Brilliant Reviews of the movie 2001'.
- Great Endings from Science Fiction.
- New in January 2002: The Foundation Trilogy as satire - Isaac Asimov's still-distinguished original Foundation novels (the ones written after 1980 do NOT count!) contain a wealth of character sketches of politically satiric intent...
- New: Dan Simmons' Hyperion quadrilogy of novels - an appreciative summary of its appeal; comprises 'Hyperion',
'The Fall of Hyperion', 'Endymion', & 'The Rise Of Endymion'.
- Lovecraftiana? The Ancestry of Cthulhu Mythos gibberish, a rummage sale from primeval pre-Lovecraft eras, of possible precedents for
H.P. Lovecraft's bizarre & uncanny use of nonsense syllables.
- - Reviews, of Science Fiction books and videos:
3. Poetry & verse drama:
- My own poems (see also UpSky below) :
- And other poetry:
4. Tennis, May-June 2000:
This section is defunct" - true enough as of May 8 2000. But subsequent developments suggest its revival. "I haven't added to it many months, and seldom finished anything in it anyway, except for the research data on 'Tennis goddesses' page. R.I.P. ]" - I've changed my mind.
May 15, 2000 editorial. About Magnus Norman, the responsibilities of the rankings #1 spot, and a review of French Opens previous to 2000 A.D. Plus my prognostications for Roland Garros 2000.
June 9, 2000 editorial. On the finals of the French Open 2000.
New: August 2001 brief note: - Of triumph - & disappointment, about both sides of the French Open, in 2000 and 2001.
( Future Editorials to be placed here. Watch this space. )
9. Money and brains: (A multi-Currency Converter, a super info resource:
New: (A calulator of the values of old money or old monetary figures, taking inflation into account:
- New, September 2001: 'Materia': generates manual info on a given Java Class, by the mechanism of 'self-reflection' using java.reflect; useful if your manual is unavailable or outdated. Download as a ZIP archive, or as all the other individual files (which are all necessary), and place the files in the same directory, with java.exe and javac.exe in the PATH. [Note: This utility is for Windows/DOS, not UNIX or LINUX.]
When run with correct parameters, will generate and open a text file with complete information on the Constructors, Fields, and Methods of the Java Class specified.
- HTML, Web Design...
- Past versions & revisions of websites I've built:
11. Science & History:
13. Superstition: ...the only appropriate subject for this number.
14. Recipes, Food:
X. All the rest; Miscellanea:
Tell the Webmaster! ...not your life history, but all suggestions and comments are welcome. Email link to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
( . . . you are guaranteed not to be put on a mailing list nor subjected to email ads - except my signature block of course. )
This website's twin: 9 of the above categories with different content, at 'UpSky'.
(In case you wonder, "What happened to 5 (or 6, 7, 8) ?" - - see F.A.Q.)
( "Initial italics: Why?" )
UpSky2 being updated... January 2, 2002 ... also November 2 & 25, October 14 & 18 & 23, September 19 & 27, August 4 & ~ 15 & 21, July 24 & 30 2001. ( - Frequently updated also, in 2000, and in 1999.)
Since August 1998, UpSky2 has had
FastCounter by LinkExchange
(local counter, in development, May 1 2000.)
The Knowledge Is Power Award, for 'UpSky', May 1999.
'Icarus', down to earth - Less exalted and more negative :
Life patience and fools! Beating dead horses! Ineptitude verse! A cure for hair problems...! ...and more! (Updated, November 2001.)
Block Sender List Club at UpSky2.
- You too can
FIGHT SPAMateurs* !!
A Nightmare Scenario
The logical end result of the current Spam junk-e-mail scene, is email services resembling current systems for transmitting secure data:
To send to someone will require not only the right email address [ analogous to a 'public key' ], but also the correct Subject line code [ as a 'private key' analogue ].
...Email systems would be, in this nightmare scenario, designed to filter out all email with subject lines not equal to ( for instance ) "
iD:Qs0196s24QQz3". (...more about this possible future...)
[ . . .Watch this space, more to come soon . . . Links to be activated:
Maxims against spam Spam hater's glossary
Block Sender List, category 1 - ground for inclusion
A definition of what exactly constitutes true spam of the most offensive varieties encountered. ]
* ( - a "Spamateur" is what you get when you cross a spammer with something amateurish - not pretty. )
( I.R.C.C., the International Red Cross & Crescent gets a percentage from this: )