- New: UpSky Window Manager - for high-powered web surfing / multiaccess.
Francais, Language Translation Resources.
What's not newest
UpSky2 - all that's new
NEW: Stopwatch Online!
1. Freelance computer and electronics services. Serving the Washington D.C. area, including Maryland, Northern Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Technical expertise/experience/special knowledge certifications online.
Recent areas of practice since July 1999:
Windows 98 upgrades and Windows 95 troubleshooting and restoration, Windows 3.1
admin; software support services and installation, disk restoration and
filesystem repair. Website modification, page design, graphics. Network
analysis, rewiring. Pentium PCs and laptops. Apple Powerbook 1700 hardware
servicing. Tech support by email and telephone. Email account configuration.
Electronic watch repair. Procurement consultation; Virus education and handling
consultation. Modem and PCMCIA cards. And, a 100% customer approval rating to date!
First-time rates for computer services: $25 per hour, plus parts sale price (if any needed).
[Subject to limitations. Exact fee charged subject to negotiation,
as appropriate for equipment serviced and other circumstances.]
- Inquiries welcome !
2. SF & Fantastic Fiction: At last!: excerpt/sample from Short Guide to Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. Original. Found only here. A valuable reference to look up things in or just browse through. (-new, September '99.)
...There's also the H.-H.'s G. page, which will soon include (-new, November '99-) "Home Is Where The... [-well, see for yourselves what!] ...Is".
...And the SF Surrealism page, including:
Episode #2 of 'Start Truck'. 'Discovery, No Longer Terrible' (-the sequel and
ending to 'Battleship Discovery The Terrible'.) 'Really Brilliant Reviews of the movie 2001'.
Great Endings from Science Fiction. (-new, July 23.)
Dan Simmons' Hyperion / Endymion series - a critical examination.
Ancestry of Cthulhu Mythos gibberish: A humorous look at precedents for H.P. Lovecraft's bizarre & uncanny use of incomprehensible nonsense syllables.
3. Poetry/drama: My Own Poems (see also UpSky below)   + an essay; Announcement & info about a poem series in ~58 parts. (-I enjoyed writing it!) Faust's death, from Goethe's drama: the original & an original English (/"Americanish") translation. (-New, August.)
...Other poetry: some dramatic wisdom from Browning; a favorite from Yeats' beloved works, & more William Butler Yeats poems, subject: the moon...(-new, July 18.) & a translation (to English from the German of) Heinrich Heine.
4. Tennis: Another headline-in-verse. (-new, July 19.) Research data on 'Tennis goddesses'. (-new, July.) Wimbledon 1999 commentary. Roland Garros 1999. Tennis Year 1998, & Wimbledon 1998 - pro Tennis commentary [-incomplete as yet...]. [Also from 1998: July headline, in verse. Minor footnote. Another footnote.]
9. Money: (-upcoming, link to a multi-Currency Converter, a super info resource.)
- Recently won by the Webmaster. See link in section 1 above.
(For past versions of UpSky & UpSky2, see 'the
Ur-UpSky' of 2/12/98 - shortly after I began building it; UpSky2 8/26/98, 11/18/98, 4/27/99.)
11. Science & History: Astronomer Royal data list (biographical sketches & info summary), in honor of the Royal Greenwich Observatory's closing on Oct. 31 1998 ...R.I.P.
- News flash: UpSky's Astronomer Royals page got listed at OpenHere in the category Professional - Astronomy - History. (March 23 2000.)
A critic of the Constitution of the United States. ...also Instant Graph Paper (-still short of perfect)
Statistics about Bicycling uniforms and helmets. (-coming: several other good ideas, in development in February-March 2000.)
13. Superstition: ...the only appropriate subject for this number.
14. Recipes, Food: Chestnuts: the chestnut tree, microwave cooking them, a new look at their eating-quality, and a needed improvement in their storage and marketing, et cetera.
A recipe that won't save the world in this new millennium: Caesar's Beans Squared. (-new, January 2000.)
...and also another place to find odd or weird pages, which has listed 'UpSky'... upcoming: link to
http://www.idiots.com !) more Great Endings, many new I.Q. tests and quizzes, original speculation on 'Negative Intelligence Quotient' and proposal for a new sort of IQ test, and Ingenious Gentleman's Sayings.
Send messages to the Webmaster! suggestions and comments welcome. Convenient email link for communication about UpSky2.
( . . . you are guaranteed not to be put on a mailing list nor subjected to email ads - except my signature block of course. )
For 9 categories with other content, see 'UpSky'. [No pop-up or banners; quickly accessible.]
(In case you wonder, "What happened to 5 (or 6, 7, 8) ?" - - see F.A.Q.)
( "Initial italics: Why?" )
UpSky2 being updated... April 17 & 22 2000 , & March 1, 11, 13, 14, 16, 20, 23, 30, 31 ... also January 6, 16, 27, February 5th & 16th. ...and in 1999, on these dates... page counter changed July 28 1999, old value kept.)
(Note: I can recommend this lottery, because in mid-March (1999) I tried it & got a net profit of 12 Swiss francs in about 15 minutes, playing the 'Dream Doors' section; - you definitely can win here! ...I then used this lottery's site to make a donation to the International Red Cross & Crescent - which gets a percentage in any case.)
(Free demos of games available.)
( You can read this, therefore the Y2K bug did not affect my Website. Happy New Millennium! )
Since August 1998, UpSky2 has had
FastCounter by LinkExchange
The Knowledge Is Power Award, for 'UpSky', May 1999.
This page is Bobby Approved, April 17 2000.
'Icarus' - all the negative and
less exalted material: Satire! Beating dead horses! Blabbermouths! Pizza...! Outrages against...! Contests with a new prize...! ...and more! (Updated in March 2000.)
Block Sender List Club at UpSky2.
- You too can
FIGHT SPAMateurs* !!
A Nightmare Scenario
The logical end result of the current Spam junk-e-mail scene, is an email system resembling current security systems for transmitting secure data: To get email sent to someone,
you will then need not only the right email address (analogous to a 'public key'), but also the correct Subject line code (as a 'private key' analogue).
...Email systems would be, in this nightmare scenario, capable of filtering out all email with subject lines not equal to (say) "
iD:Qs0196s24QQz3". (...more about this possible future...)
[ . . .Watch this space, more to come soon . . . Links to be activated:
Maxims against spam Spam hater's glossary
Block Sender List, category 1 - ground for inclusion
A definition of what exactly constitutes true spam of the most offensive varieties encountered. ]
* ( - a "Spamateur" is what you get when you cross a spammer with something amateurish - not pretty. )